Disaster Preparedness Training Comes to South Maui | Community Spirit
WAILUKU, Maui, Hawai`i – While many natural hazards can be seasonal, coastline communities are always vulnerable to the destructive force of a tsunami. Even a tsunami generated at a distance gives Hawai`i minimal time to prepare. Any type of disaster is unexpected and disrupts lives. Preparation for the unexpected helps people take a level of control over their own safety, reduces anxiety, and provides the possibility of resuming a normal life more quickly in the aftermath of disaster.
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program helps people to be better prepared to take care of themselves and their family and to respond to emergency situations in their communities. CERT training educates people about hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster medical operations. When emergencies happen, CERT members give critical support to professional first responders by providing immediate assistance to victims at a disaster site.
CERT Basic Training is a six-day, 30 hour program, consisting of classroom instruction and field exercises. Sponsored by the Maui County Civil Defense Agency, CERT is taught by Maui Fire Department instructors and is provided free of charge under a Homeland Security grant.
CERT training is open to people of all abilities, ages 18 an up, no previous experience needed. Ages 14-17 may attend with a parent or legal guardian.
CERT classes are scheduled during the evening and on Saturdays. The Kihei class session will be held in May at the Kihei Elementary School at the following times:
- 5/08 Tuesday, 6:00-9:30 p.m.
- 5/10 Thursday, 6:00-9:30 p.m.
- 5/12 Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- 5/15 Tuesday, 6:00-9:30 p.m.
- 5/17 Thursday, 6:00-9:30 p.m.
- 5/19 Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Upcoming training is scheduled in Pukalani in July and Kahului in September.
For further information and to register for a CERT course, contact Charnan Carroll (Civil Defense Staff Specialist & CERT Program Manager) at 270-7285 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Gee Yung Martial Arts to perform lion dance at Koko Marina Center
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer
- Prudential Locations Welcomes Experienced Agents Arashiro and Hsia